I’m the newest member of WIAW!
‘What I ate Wednesdays’ or WIAW: A popular term many use on social media to showcase food (glorious food. I’m getting hungry already!).
You can be a top chef or just a foodie like myself. Just snap a photo of what you ate, and share!
Everyone has their own reason for participating in WIAW, and here’s mine:
- to document and share my relationship with food after my type 1 diabetes diagnosis (summer 2012)
- find out what foods are best for me to make the most out of training (I need to learn how to fuel right and keep my bg’s nice and steady)
- diary what works/doesn’t in this wonky process called the honeymoon period
- share my journey in learning more about nutrition
- take photos of food (which I already do, all the time), then devour and enjoy every bite and claim “WIAW!”
My daily post-workout smoothie! (workout not required)
- 1 medium banana (around 25g carbs)
- 1/2 cup mixed berries (I always buy bags of frozen berries so nothing spoils) (around 7g carbs)
- 1 scoop Vega All in One Nutrition-Natural flavour (2g carbs)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (0g carbs)
- 1 tbsp spirulina (1g carbs) | What is spirulina? |
- 1 cup unsweetened almond drink (1g carbs)
- 1 tsp flaxseed oil (0g carbs)
- stevia to sweeten
=36g of carbs | 397 calories |
This smoothie gives me enough to almost hit my daily vitamin A, C, calcium and half my iron requirements. Immediately after workouts I take 50 per cent less short-acting insulin and for me, this smoothie never makes me go high if I follow that formula. My stomach feels great and I’m energized.
Let me know if you try this out or if you have another post-workout smoothie to share. And remember to check your bg’s! Just like Bob the Banana here….
*I use my MyFitnessPal app and scan in as many ingredients as I can to give a proper carb count. Other foods are estimated. Please always see a professional when it comes to your dietary needs.